Many people aren't aware of this, but vaping has been around for many years. More recently though it has become trendy amongst not only the older generation as they are trying to become healthier by giving up cigarettes. But many middle and high schoolers are vaping now as well.
In the article, "Millions of teens are vaping every day. Heres what they have to say about the growing trend," Published on December 20, 2018, in USA TODAY, writer Marina Pitofsky stated: "Today, more than 3 million middle and high school students say they regularly vape with e-cigarettes. From 2017 to 2018, the number of high schoolers who reported using e-cigarettes increased 78 percent, according to the 2018 National Youth Tobacco Survey."
The increase comes at a time when people are wanting to live healthier lifestyles and believe that vaping is their ticket to quit smoking cigarettes. It has been said that vaping is healthier than smoking cigarettes, but there hasn't been enough research on the real dangers of vaping yet.
Young people are vaping because they think that it is cooler than smoking cigarettes, and some are using it as a social experience. It has become so popular that kids are using it as a way to fit in with their peers. Vaping has almost become a cultural phenomenon amongst the younger generation. They feel it is cleaner than cigarettes, and they like to enjoy the many different flavors and varieties as well as having control over the amount of nicotine they are consuming.
One concern is that vaping may lead to smoking cigarettes later on in life for many young adults who may not ever have taken up the habit to begin with.
According to Damon Winter, publisher for the New York Times, "A congressional investigation has found that Juul, the nation's leading e-cigarette maker, used social media and "educational" and "antismoking" campaigns to plug its product to minors. In at least one instance, the company targeted children as young as 8. In another, it told students that e-cigarettes were "totally safe."
Everywhere you turn these days there seems to be another vaping store being added to shopping centers. There are countless advertisements all over the internet and social media as well. I have two teenage children, and they have told me that kids are selling these vapor pens in school. Some parents are even soliciting their kids to sell them. They have said that vaping is a regular thing they see daily on school grounds. Education and keeping open communication with your children is key to preventing the vaping epidemic from becoming worse.
Resources
Resources
- Teen Vaping Linked to More Health Risks
- The Dangers of Vaping: What We Know
- Everything We Know- And Don't Know- About The Dangers Of Vaping
Disclaimer: This is a college class assignment and not a real blog site.
Starr,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your post. I always knew that vaping was worse than smoking cigarettes, but never actually knew just how bad it was. I remember when I was scrolling through Facebook a few weeks ago, coming across several stories of young adults who had been hospitalized with serious respiratory illnesses due to vaping. My sister and her boyfriend used to vape quite a bit, and I always would tell them how bad it was for them. When I saw these articles, I showed them to my sister; her response was "Yeah, I've seen the articles. It's sad. We stopped vaping over a year ago anyways." (Nursing school apparently consumed my life more than I realized). I told her I was very glad that she had quit, but that it still made me nervous. Reading your post and browsing through your extra resources opened my eyes to just how bad vaping can be. It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to see young kids being targeted by big corporations, selling, and even being asked to sell vape pens. I don't have kids of my own yet, but I constantly wonder about and fear for what they could experience one day.
Starr,
ReplyDeleteI loved the topic you chose to write about. Personally, I don't vape but I have seen many articles recently about young adults that have been hospitalized because of respiratory distress or failure due to the effects of vaping. It's sad to see that it is going through the same early stages that cigarettes went through. Cigarettes were widely advertised and we didn't have the truth about them then that we do now. I fear that this is going to be a similar situation. I have a brother that uses a vape pen for his marijuana that his doctor regulates for his cancer. I still don't know too much about it but it is concerning what people are putting into their bodies when they have no clue what is in it or what it will do to them.
Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. ect mico
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely fantastic posting! Lots of useful information and inspiration, both of which we all need!Relay appreciate your work. Ugo v ii
ReplyDelete